Thursday, March 31, 2016

Review: Link (The Shadow of Light #1)

LINK (The Shadow of Light, #1)LINK by Summer Wier
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

That is such a beautiful cover. I really try not to judge a book by its cover, but it is the first thing that you usually see. The cover is what caught my eye, but the blurb is what drew me in.

I really don't know how to explain this book. It's not really like any other book I've read, but I'm still pretty new to sci-fi and fantasy, though they've become a couple of my favorite genres. I mean, I went YEARS on just historical romance novels, hundreds of them. They tend to be a bit predictable and that is what ultimately pulled me into new genres. I like twists, and the unknown. Amanda Quicks Arcane Society Series and J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter Series were that bridge in genres for me.

It's really fun to read a book and not know where the story is going until you get there. This book did that for me.

description

Spoilers beyond this point.

A good bit of my time in the beginning was spent trying to figure out the setting. I was thinking that it was outside of the US (Australia kept popping into my head), and I was right in a way, it was definitely out of the US, it was a completely different world.

I never really made a personal connection with Kira but that didn't detract from the story. It was like watching a good movie, it was interesting. The only thing I really didn't care for was the love triangle. Even though she was thinking no, I shouldn't, she never actually said it to Evan. Next thing you know, she's back in Zanes arms.
description
She does tell him that she has a boyfriend at the end of the book, but I really wish she had been more upfront from the beginning, even though technically Kira and Zane weren't gf/bf the whole time. He was there and that was something, enough of something that it should have been mentioned.

So, I'm not very knowledgeable of astronomy or astrology, I do find it fascinating though. LINK is written well; I was never lost in the explanations, and could imagine everything as I read it.

I got that excited, sitting-on-the-edge-of-your-seat feeling while reading. It was kind of like the feeling I get right before I watch a new episode of Doctor Who. The possibilities are endless.
description
Light vs Dark, Life vs Destruction.

And this book is just the beginning! I can't wait to see where this story goes.

I did receive this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname