Saturday, March 19, 2016

Review: Armed & Delicious

Armed & DeliciousArmed & Delicious by Nathan Aylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

description

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.

description

I love it, and hate it a tiny, little bit because it made me so homesick. I live in Alabama now (I moved down here five years ago), but I grew up in Olympia, Washington. Which is just shy of two hours north of Portland, and they're very much alike. I have a strong love for the PNW, and eventually plan to move back—to Oregon, actually.

Anyways...

I haven't read a book that has made me laugh so much, in a long time. The story is about Jimmy Lagala—or Sparky, as most call him. Jimmy is a high schooler with an autistic little brother and an overworked, underpaid single mom.

His life goes from ordinary to extraordinary, pretty quickly, after getting a part-time job as a slice of pizza.
description

He learns that things are not always as they seem and sometimes you just have to go with the flow if you're going to get what you want.

The conversations are hilarious.

"You should be politician," he said.
"Why is that?"
"Because you lie like carpet."
"Do you mean rug?" I asked as he handed me a slice.
.
.
.
"Stop talking like congressman or Tino put you in oven," he said.


The characters are awesome.

"...Just a second," Al said, returning to his "princess."
Tino, never one to repeat himself, walked over and took the computer away from Al, slammed it shut, and put it under his arm. "No more internets."
"My princess!"
I don't think Tino knew what the hell Al was talking about. "You want Princess in the ovens?" he said holding the laptop near the oven. "Get to work."
.
.
.
"There's plenty of princesses out there," I said, patting Al on the back, and then corrected myself. "Not real ones though, OK? If they say that they're lying."


They came alive, and "Tiny Teenie Tuesdays!" was one of the best scenes, ever.
description

My favorite character is Fedor. (view spoiler)

You should read this book.

I'll definitely be reading any other books by this author, in Sparky's world or not.


I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname